During the French Revolution several religious edifices, considered symbols of the Ancien Régime, were destroyed by the population: these included the Abbey of St. Because the Limousin region has had a long history of breeding (Baronet sheep and Limousine cows), the leather industry also settled in and around Limoges along the banks of the Vienne–the river providing the necessary water and power.
Factories in Limoges and St Junien still produce luxury leather shoes, gloves, and bags.
Heugel's genesis dates from January 1st, 1839, when Jacques Léopold Heugel (1815-1883) became a partner of the Paris music publisher Jean Antoine Meissonnier (1783-1857), whose business was located at 2 bis Rue Vivienne.
The name was changed to Heugel following Meissonier's retirement on April 20th, 1842.
Henri continued to add to the catalogue through the acquisition of other Parisian publishers such as E. Tellier (1898), and a portion of Pérégally & Parvy (1904).
The city and castle were united in 1792 to form the single city of Limoges. Many of the inhabitants became employed in the new sector or in connected activities (including the lumbering of wood needed for firing the porcelain) in manufacture and exporting needed for European distribution of Limoges Boxes, dinnerware, and other porcelain wares.In the 19th century Limoges saw strong construction activity, which included the destruction and rebuilding of much of the city centre.The unsafe conditions of the poorer population is highlighted by the outbreak of several riots, including that of July–November 1830; April 1848.The population was concentrated instead in a more easily fortifiable site, the modern Puy Saint-Étienne, which is the centre of the modern Limoges. Martial (9th century), another settlement grew around the tomb of the saint, while a third area, next to the residence of the viscount (the future Castle of Saint Martial), seems to have been populated from the 10th century.Starting from the 11th century, thanks to the presence of the Abbey of St.