And lastly on the fourth floor are balcony entrances to the senate and house chambers. Bald Eagles were still prevalent in the valley and an Eagle's nest was spotted in a tall cottonwood tree near the .
The balcony entrances are there so that the public can watch the legislature while it is in session. The new location was selected because it was near the intersection of the Oregon Trail with a major road connecting the Accounts differ about the origin of the name. It was built by Nathaniel Wyeth's American Trading Company.
The final cost of the building was approximately ,098,455.05 and it was completed in 1920. The capitol building is 208 feet high and takes up a total of 201,720 square feet, and there is over 50,000 square feet of artistically carved marble.
The architects used several different materials to construct the building and their architecture was inspired by various sources and cultures.. There are 219 pillars on the original building which were On the first floor of the capitol building, when looking upward to the dome, thirteen large stars and forty-three smaller stars can be seen.
Also on this floor is the Idaho Supreme Court room which is used for hearings and committee meetings of the Joint Finance and Appropriations Committee. Eagle - The name for the town and nearby island came from the earliest settlers in the valley.
Over its one-hundred and one years of operation, the penitentiary received more than 13,000 convicts, with a maximum population of a little over six-hundred. Two famous inmates were Harry Orchard and s Lady Bluebeard for killing several of her husbands to collect upon their life insurance.
Two serious riots occurred in 19 over living conditions in the prison.
This building had seven two-person cells, a central day room, kitchen, and bathroom facilities.
This building held the infamous Cell House 5 (1954) was Maximum Security where the most unruly and violent offenders stayed.