The first meeting of the County Council took place, 24 January 1889, in the County Court House at March, 'this being considered neutral ground' as opposed to the older centres of Ely and Wisbech where alternately the Quarter Sessions were held. 32) At the next meeting, also held at March, a motion was put forward for meetings at Ely, March, and Wisbech in rotation, but an amendment to make March the permanent meeting-place was carried. He received 300 acres, 138 of them as lord of the manor. It stands on land which was once part of Cavalry Barn Farm, so named according to local tradition because 'Oliver Cromwell kept his horses there'. The base is square with a sunk panel on each face, two with blank shields and two with roses.
It was pointed out that, although March was the most convenient centre for only 18 of the 52 members who expressed a preference, it was more convenient than Ely or Wisbech for most of those who preferred the other of these towns. In the early 19th century a 'pretty little theatre' was built in Bridge Street by a Mr. There are no medieval secular buildings remaining in March, but several of later date have some architectural distinction. 38 West End, dated 1626, with elaborately carved beams in the parlour ceiling and an Adam-style fireplace in the dining-room. 76) consists of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, south porch, and west tower and spire.
3) where the road between Ely and Wisbech, the two chief towns of the Isle, crossed the river.
It early outstripped the parent settlement of Doddington and in the 15th century possessed several guilds; (fn. 8) Soon after this the market appears to have lapsed, and an attempt to revive it in 1821 was not very successful, though the fairs continued at this period to be prosperous.
The fairs are held on the Monday before Whitsun and the third Tuesday in October. It had long been consolidating its position as the main centre in Doddington parish, and the 1801 Census showed about twice as many people in March as in the three villages.
Since 1861, however, March has forged ahead, not only in comparison with the rest of Doddington parish, but with the other towns of the Isle. 27) From 1778 to 1846 the 'Guildhall' was used by the Court of Requests, which had been established in the Isle for the recovery of small debts. 28) The Guildhall was rebuilt in 1827 and still stands in High Street, but is no longer used for any civic purpose. 29) The main cause of the rapid growth of March in the past hundred years is its emergence as the chief railway centre of the Isle.
The case was removed from the king's to the bishop's court and must have resulted in (fn. 54) was conveyed by John Colvile to Humphrey Gardner in 1586; (fn. Gardner and his wife Elizabeth passed it to William Hynd (1559), whose relict conveyed it to Sir John Peyton in 1606, (fn. The chancel, which is entirely modern, has an east window of five lights with flowing tracery.
51) favour of Geoffrey, for in 1361 Sir John de Colvile, before his departure overseas, settled property in 'Marcheford' on trustees for the benefit of his son John, or of himself should he return. 52) In 1407 Geoffrey Colvile and his wife had licence of private oratory in their house at Hachewood near March. 56) since when it has followed the descent of Doddington (q.v.). In the lateral walls are three windows of two lights of 14thcentury character.
The original cost was £4,764; it has been enlarged in 19 for considerably larger sums. The clock in the tower is a Diamond Jubilee memorial. 41) During the 19th century a fashion for ornamental structures of cast iron developed in March and the neighbourhood. 36 High Street, which may be compared with that at Wade's Hotel, Station Road (. Edmunds also held 16 acres, land for half a plough, 3 bordars and woodland for 4 pigs, stated to be worth 3. There were at the same time 11 customary tenants specifically described as holding in March. 46) By 1251 March had become a fair-sized village with 77 messuages; (fn. A general reconstruction took place, doubtless in pursuance of the indulgence granted by Clement VI in 1343 for the rebuilding of the chapel. 77) To this period belong the south arcade and the tower and spire.
1000 by Oswy and Leofleda when their son Aelfwin was admitted as a monk. 43) In 1086 the berewick of March contained 12 villeins, each with 12 acres. 47) there were 35 free and about 50 servile tenants, including 9 and 9 others enfeoffed since the time of Bishop Geoffrey. 48) The bishop's vaccary of Dereford or Dernford lay in March, forming a minor but continuous item of manorial economy in the early 14th century. 49) The name is preserved in the present Dartford Road. 50) A manor of March is mentioned for the first time in 1328, when Geoffrey de Colevill sued Roger Huse for unlawful entry into the manor of . 74) Its hall was sold in 1571 to Richard Hill and Robert Don, the former receiving other properties of the guild including an inn called the 'Swan' in tenure of Henry Cornewallis. 75) There were also five smaller guilds of Holy Trinity, St. Early in the 16th century the church was completely transformed by the addition of a clerestory and the rebuilding of the aisles and south porch. In 1874 the chancel, which had been modernized in the 18th century with rounded windows and plaster ceiling, was completely rebuilt in 14th-century style.