The Viponts/Vieuxponts/de Veteriponts were a powerful Norman family.
William de VIEUXPONT married Maud de MORVILLE, daughter of Hugh de MORVILLE, Constable of Scotland.
For 119 years it continued a desolate ruin until it was re-edified by the Lady Anne in 1660.
Her diary tells how she formed the design of restoring the Castle as early as 1615, for a library for a Mr. To give an easier access to the Castle she built the neighbouring bridge over the Eden and, in 1662, "a wall of lime and stone around the Castle 90 roods in compass, with two gates and within it a stable, coach-house, brew-house, bake-house, wash-house and a little room over the gate which is arched." In 1685 the castle was demolished by Thomas, Earl of Thanet, and it has ever since continued to be exposed to the ravages of time and tempest.
By 1901, the numbers had grown to 9,201 [almost 50%] in Lancashire and 7,776 [just over 40%] in Yorkshire [almost doubled since 1841], followed by London 837 4%, Durham 463 2.5% and Cheshire 371 2%.
Also a fortified Manor Hall named Hartley Castle [also known as Harcla Castle and Hardcla Castle] at Hartley village, given to Sir Andrew de HARCLA by King Edward 11 in 1315.In 1851 it was Yorkshire, with Leeds, Bradford, Keighley, Stanley and Bigley as the top parishes.In 1861, Lancashire took the No.1 position from Yorkshire though more HARTLEYs were still being born in Yorkshire.Sir Philip MUSGRAVE repaired and furnished the ancient chapel as also such rooms as had been left unfinished at the time of the Civil War.When about the year 1677 the MUSGRAVE family removed to Eden Hall, Hartley Castle was deserted and allowed to fall into ruin.